The VisAdapt™ tool has been released. VisAdapt is designed in order to allow homeowners to assess potential climate related risks that may have an impact on their homes. Climres researchers Tomasz Opach and Jan Ketil Rød have actively participated in designing and developing the tool. http://visadapt.info
The web-based visualization tool VisAdapt™ has been developed as part of a project on climate change adaptation and insurance payments in the Nordic countries (http://www.cspr.se/forskning/visadapt), and is the result of collaboration between the Nordic insurance companies If, Gjensidige, Codan/TryggHansa, and Tryg Insurance, and the Top-level Research Initiative the Nordic Centre of Excellence NORD-STAR (www.nord-star.info).
VisAdapt™ has been designed
• to allow homeowners to assess potential climate related risk factors that may have an impact on their homes.
• to get an overview of existing guidelines on how to adapt to climate change and extreme weather effects.
• to help homeowners to assess vulnerability and climate related impacts and to reflect on possible measures to adapt.
• to provide homeowners with adaptation guidelines for how to decrease anticipated climate risks in their region according to house type, location and materials.
• to demonstrate the potential of visualization techniques in order to increase understanding of the potential effects of climate change.
• to identify and discern climate impacts at a chosen location.
VisAdapt™ is developed mainly for private homeowners, but other groups such as land-use planners and property managers will also find it useful.